Debugging Dymo Label Software / LabelWriter installation issues using LWSupport Tool
1 CommentWednesday, 19 June 2013 | Admin
LWSupport is a utility for helping with technical issue surrounding the installation of the Dymo Label Software* that comes with LabelWriter printers, and has two main uses:
- It can remove the Dymo printer drivers from Windows, allowing a completely fresh install.
- It can produce a highly detailed debug file which can be sent to technical support to help them figure out what is going on
Follow these instructions to remove the drivers and re-install the printer cleanly -
- Open the Printers folder.
- Based on Operating System and system configuration, the Printers folder can be accessed in one of the following ways:
- Start > Settings > Printers
- Start > Control Panel > Printers & Other Hardware > View installed printers or fax printers
- Start > Control Panel > Printers & Faxes
- Delete any print jobs that are present for any DYMO printer.
- Delete any networked DYMO printers.
- Close the Printers folder.
- When DYMO Label™ Software was installed, a subfolder entitled Support Files was created in the DYMO Label™ Software folder, which is located in: C:\Program Files\DYMO\DYMO Label Software. In the Support Files folder is the file LWSupport.exe.
- Double-click on the LWSupport.exe file. A DYMO Label Support Tool window will appear. Select Remove DYMO Printer Drivers and click OK.
- Disconnect your DYMO printer(s) and click Remove. This will remove any DYMO printers from the Installed Drivers field. Afterwards, click Close. When prompted, select Yes to restart your computer.
- If you see an error message after clicking Remove, restart your computer and re-run the LWSupport utility.
- After restarting, reconnect the printer to the computer. Within a few moments, the New Hardware Wizard will appear on screen. Proceed through the New Hardware Wizard. When prompted to locate the necessary drivers, enter the path of C:\Program Files\DYMO\DYMO Label Software\Drivers. This will install the necessary drivers for your DYMO printer.
If you're still having problems you can contact technical support (via www.dymo.com) and send them the debug report. To produce the debug report run the utility from "C:\Program Files\DYMO\DYMO Label Software\Support" and choose "Collect information for Dymo technical support", press OK. When prompted press OK again. An explorer window should open and you will see the zip file - this can now be emailed to technical support.
*These instructions apply to version 8 of the Dymo software.